Monday, November 19, 2012

otakunick reviews Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai (Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi)

 

  Hey guys otaku nick hear with a new review today its Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai or as its beter known hear in the US Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. Now befor we get to the brake down let me just say I love this show back when I was in middle school my lintier week revolved around getting home and looking thew OnDemands anime network for the new episode I loved this show. and it acholy was not till a year latter that I leered why I loved it so much you see this is a co-production by sum of my favret studios gainax and madhouse thats right the same two studios that respectivly gave us Evangelion and black lagoon worked to geather to make this show

   the story is as fallows Imamiya Satoshi, "Sasshi" to his friends, has grown up in the Abenobashi Shopping Arcade in Osaka, along with his childhood friend, Asahina Arumi. Now, all that was stable in his life is in ruins. His family's bath house has closed and been torn down, and Arumi's family is moving to Hokkaido - and taking her with them. In the midst of all this, something happens to the framework of reality, and Sasshi and Arumi slip into a weird parallel world. It's still Abenobashi, but not their Abenobashi. Strange things are afoot, and Sasshi must find out their meaning, in order to reach a goal that he barely understands. Now then I know this dosint sound as good as Im makeing it out to be but trust me when I say that this story is good in fact Id say the energy of this show is more akin to gainaxes FLCL that aird one year erlyer

  the are is well prbly the weekest part of the show dot get me wrong for the most part the art could stand up to anything that came out this year but I can only say that because I am a fan on the lat 90s and early 2000s art styles but I do get that the mix of realistic  traits and exaggerated ones in anime has long fallen out of favor its normally one or the other now a days but for this show and all the weird stuff that happens it rely good to have a mix of the two



  music is your standard affair for a comedy for its time up beet and energetic but one this still pops into my head all the time when thinking of this show and that its opening this was the first anime I watch witch had a oping that didint just souns like it was made for the show but was a song in and of it self witch for me up to that time was unheard of please note back then I was manly watching anime from the 60s and 70s so most ops where in fact made for the shows and even the 90s anime had yet to rely brake that habit.

  Now for the voice work I know this is probly going to get me plenty of flack but I am a big fan of the ENG dub of this show. I have watched in both English and Japanese but I thing the ENG dub just has a bit more to offer in the comedy department. But both versions are good I myself just like the ENG version more.

  But yea over all i say give this one a look for its time it was funny as hell. Tho I will admite that the jokes may fall flate in this day and age but I rely dont care as no mater how many time i wath this show I allways find sumthing to laugh at.


No comments: